Bulletin Board Strips

I’ve been wanting to bring some fabric into our desk area.  At first I thought of doing a fabric bulletin board (like HERE) but it wasn’t quite what I wanted.  And with those big boards, papers hang down and cover a lot of the board, so why not have open spaces for the papers to cover.  I came up with this idea – bulletin board strips.  They were pretty simple and I just hung them up – and love them!  Here’s a quick how-to:

First I had some scrap boards (leftover from the desk my hubby MADE – he’s awesome!) so that’s the size I chose.  It’s totally up to you on dimensions.  You’ll also need fabric, corkboard, a staple gun, and picture hangers.  First lay your board down on the cork to trace and then cut out a piece to cover the front of the board.  Do the same for the fabric, but be sure to cut it bigger than the board because it needs to wrap the edges.

Lay your fabric right side down; center the piece of cork on it; place your board on top of the cork and fabric.  Wrap the fabric around the board and staple the long sides.  I love the PowerShot staple gun – I’m a whimp and I can use it.  This process is just like recovering chairs if you’ve ever done that.
Now for the corners – staple the point down and then each side.  See the picture – this will help your corners lay nice.  Then staple down the short sides.
Now you can attach your picture hangers.  Or if yu have a fab helper, you can convince them to drill in keyhole pockets so the screws will slide in and help the boards hang flush.
Then hang them on your wall, stand back, and admire your craftiness.
This post will be linked-up to several Link Parties - check out all the fab stuff!!

Comments

I’m coming over from New Friends Friday! I love this idea. I have limited space and kept thinking about large bulletin boards, which won’t work. I never thought about a smaller strip. Thanks for the idea.

This turned out great! I often wondered why I spent so much time covering up something that, in turn, will just get covered up! This is a great solution. Love the color.

Check out my blog for a fun give away:
    alittleknickknack.blogspot.com

These are beautiful! Thank you for sharing and bringing your hodgepodge to my party. I love seeing what you are up to. Hope to see you again.
    ~Gay~
    itsahodgepodgelife.blogspot.com

I think the strips are perfect for your amazing desk area! I’m hoping to get my craft space finished soon–thanks for some inspiration!

I love this bulletin board strip idea! Unexpected, practical, and attractive – my favorite qualities in a project! I’m a new follower. I’d love for you to come see me and follow me, too, at sceneofthegrime.blogspot.com

Happy Easter!

Wow! Cute! And, is that the desk your husband made? Shut right up! Can he come to North Carolina and build some things for me?

I am Michael Shannon’s cousin (although I like to claim Kate as a cousin too!), by the way and I will be checking out your blog quite often from now on. No pressure!

I love this idea. I’ve been looking to do something similar above my sewing machine. I’m so glad you shared this idea! Your desk is to die for! Your hubby did a great job!

Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours Day at My Backyard Eden!

Hey! I love this idea, it’ll work great in my craft room! I found you at Girl Creative, and now I’m following! Looking forward to reading more of your site :)

SOOOOO CUTE!!! I love it, and I especially love that you could make the strips as big or as small as you want, and your workstation is TO DIE FOR!!! I’m featuring this FABULOUS idea, feel free to grab my button!!

Jessica