- I bought mine used and would recommend that - it's a great machine at a fraction of the cost. However, I would recommend buying used from a store instead of Ebay - that way you would have a place to turn to when you had questions. A lot of stores offer free classes on how to use your machine - I didn't get that benefit and it would have been very helpful.
- Mine has a big hoop - don't buy a machine that will only hold a 4x6 hoop - you'll want bigger. This is a big downfall with the cheaper machines.
- I love that mine converts to embroidery or regular sewing. I thought I wouldn't use it for regular sewing, but once I did I haven't gone back to my old sewing machine.
- I'd highly recommend a screen. Some embroidery machines you can't even see how you're laying things out. Mine has a touch screen and I can load up images and arrange them how I'd like them to sew out.
- Everyone always dreams of bigger and better - if I were to upgrade, I would buy a machine with a USB port - that way it would allow easy transfers of desigs from the computer to the machine. Right now I have to have a separate convertor box to do the job.
- Good Luck shopping around - I would shy away from Brother because they're a cheap machine, and there's the whole "you get what you pay for " thing - people love Bernina and Husquvarna, but I haven't had one so I can't compare.
March 6, 2010
About the Author
Mandy is a Craft Blogger who enjoys all things DIY - she feels that if she can do something, you can too, and provides tutorials to help you along the way. She enjoys being a mom to 4 awesome kiddos and blogs from the Kansas City area. Please add her Google profile to your circles. You can also find her on Facebook and Twitter.