Glass Tile Pendants

Want to know how to make a glass tile pendant?? They’re super easy – you can do this!  Here’s a brief tutorial.

glass tile pendants make your own

They can end up costing less than $1.70 each – wow!  Perfect for gifts.  What a great craft – I had one mom comment to me “this is a great craft that spans all ages – my daughter (7 yrs old) could do it and so could I and my mother – and we all enjoyed it!”

First gather your supplies – you’ll need:
–a glass tile,
–a bail (that’s the hook that goes on the back),
–paper or fabric design,
–diamond glaze and a small paintbrush,
–superglue,
–and a chain to hang it on.
(keep scrolling and I will tell you where I bought mine)

Some ideas for your glass tile pendants:
–Use fabric and paper – here’s a post with great idea tips.
–Use a photo – here’s a post on how to resize and image for a tile.
–Use a school mascot to make a great teacher gift.

I bought all my supplies from CandyTiles and was really impressed.  I especially like her bundle packs - you don’t have to think because it has everything – you can get 20 bails, 20 tiles, 20 chains, and a bottle of diamond glaze for $33.50 – perfect.  And prices get better as you order more – I organized this craft for moms to do at our playgroup and ended up ordering 2 100 Bundle Packs – so make it a party!
** update – 10% off at CandyTiles if you enter “sugarbeez10″ in the coupon code area **

First take your tile, and trace it onto your paper.  Then cut it out slightly inside the lines.  You can use an exacto knife but I just used scissors.  Hold it up with your tile on top of it to check the size – you don’t want any paper sticking out behind the edge.

Next squirt your diamond glaze on the back of the tile - about pea size.  Use a small paintbrush to spread it out – enough to coat the back of the tile but not so much that it’s going to ooze.
Then while the diamond glaze is still wet set your paper face-down onto it.  Rub the paper to get a really good seal.  That will prevent bubbles being seen through the glass.
Let dry for 5-10 mintues or longer.  Then squirt diamond glaze on the back of the paper and spread it out with a paintbrush to seal in your paper.  Let dry several hours.  Then using superglue, glue your bails to the back. (Don’t use Gorilla Glue – it foams a little so it won’t look as clean around your bail)
We had a great time making these – and so will you!
Remember, I have other posts that showcase more details about the following…
Some ideas for your glass tile pendants:
–Use fabric and paper – here’s a post with great idea tips.
–Use a photo – here’s a post on how to resize and image for a tile.
–Use a school mascot to make a great teacher gift.
And it’s also a fun gift for Mother’s Day:
Go make some!!

Comments

These are so gorgeous! This would be fun to make for kids, and since they’re so cheap, it would be no biggie when the child loses it (as mine inevitably will!) Great idea!

Mandy,
    I love these pendants, they’re so pretty! Thanks for joining the Craftaholics Anonymous Support Group! I had fun stopping by and checking out your craftiness!
    Linda

Hi I found you through 12 Crafts til Christmas blog. I love this idea and you make the directions so simple. Thanks for linking where to get the supplies. I love that I can get almost everything in one place!

Thank you co much for the tutorial. My girl scout troop is going to make these as mother’s day gifts which leads me to a question. Our meeting is only an hour long. Will it be sufficient to let the diamond glaze set on the back of the paper for about an hour before gluing on the bale or does it need more time to set?

These are adorable…I will have to make.some for my daughters…I had a question for you. You have a picture of one with a red and gold roadrunner..that is my kids mascot for there school, where did u find him? I have looked and looked and have had no luck.. thank you

This is a great idea. I don’t have much money so this is prefect for my mom’s birthday coming up. I like the idea of putting it on a necklace. You want to get a picture that really means something on there. What would be even cooler is if you could make them into earring.

-Zane of ontario honey

Hi! I love this tutorial. I have a quick question. When I add the glaze to the back of the paper it makes the paper look “wet”. In other words, part of the paper is still white but you can see the other side coming through the back. Do I need to use a thicker paper, like cardstock?

Great tutorial.
    If anyone needs images for making glass tile pendants I’d love to help. I offer free digital images created to fit your crafts projects. Also I offer the tool to make your own sheet with pictures (images) you chose My contact info is on my website: http://bestpeople.ca

Alexandra

I really like this idea. I live in a nursing home and this would be something nice to make for all the women. I’m bookmarking this page so I can remember where I got it. Thanks.

Wow! Thanks for sharing this great informative content. Now, we are trying to learn something from your tutorial. When we make one of the glass tile pendants , then we are very thankful to you.

I love this type of innovative creation in the glass tile industry. Very pretty pendant. Can I create this pendant for me? Give me a brief description for this.