Furnkies (Peanut Butter Bars) – most delicious EVER

I can’t believe I haven’t posted about these yet.  If I have to take a treat somewhere, this is it.  It’s easier than cookies because it’s a bar (so you don’t have to drop individual cookies) and EVERYONE loves it.  I personally don’t like peanut butter – but yet I love these.    Who knows where this recipe came from – rumor has it that 20+ years ago my aunt Sally got it from someone at her work.  I’m sure it’s been tweaked along the way.  I make it on a cookie sheet – if you use a 9×13 pan, refer to the measurements in parenthesis.

FURNKIES
For cookie sheet (for 9×13 pan)

1 ½ C butter (3 sticks) (1 C)
1 ½ C sugar (1)
1 ½ C brown sugar (1)

3 eggs (2)

1 C peanut butter (2/3)
1 ½ tsp baking soda (1)
¾ tsp salt (2/3)
1 ½ tsp vanilla (1)

3 C oatmeal (2)

3 C flour (2)

Topping  - peanut butter icing (approx only!):

12 oz choc chips

1 tbsp Peanut butter

3 tbsp powdered sugar

Milk for desired thickness

Mix ingredients. Press into pan.

Bake 350° for 20-25min (longer for 9×13 pan).

Turn off oven, remove pan – quickly pour choc chips evenly over bars – put bake in oven for 1-2 minutes. Remove, spread melted chocolate. Drizzle peanut butter icing over top. Cool.

And here’s the tutorial with pictures…..

Grab you helpers and get to work.  Mix it all up then press into pan.  They love helping with all of this:

Then when it’s done cooking, pour on the chocolate chips and then stick it back in the over for 1-2 minutes:
They will be melted enough to spread:
Mix up the peanut butter drizzle and drop it all around the top:
They’re good to eat warm, but easier to eat after they’ve cooled and the chocolate has hardened.
Mmmm…I made 2 batches this week…

Pin It

Comments

YUMMMMMM! That looks so delish!! Your recipe is definitely a keeper, thanks for sharing! :) Found you on Tatortots and Jello! Have a great day.

Brooke @ craftingchicks.blogspot.com

I wonder where the name comes from? I should probably go eat some breakfast before my hunger leads me to make a rash decision.

I am powerless againt the combination of peanut butter and chocolate Mandy! It’s my kryptonite! If only someone could hurry up and invent the blogger feature that allows you to magically attach samples of food to every recipe post. That person could make trillions!

i came over from be different…act normal … looks like you are big time now!!! i saw the picture and thought…didn’t i just eat those? and the answer was yes! Fabulous!

5. Anonymous says

I Love this!!! I had to sub almond butter for the peanut butter (my daughter is allergic) and it came out WONDERFUL!!!! THANK YOU!

Oh, my word! I love PB & chocolate! I can’t wait to try this! Thanks for sharing!

By, the way I am a new follower found your blog via another!

Peanut butter and chocolatey deliciousness!!! I’m visiting from Somewhat Simple. I’d love it if you’d stop by and link up to my Home and Family Friday Linky Party. I host each Friday. Hope you’ll come join us!

Becca
    becca-homeiswheremystorybegins.blogspot.com

Boy does this take me back…they used to make these and serve them in my jr. high and high school cafeterias. They called them peanut butter oatmeal bars. I called them lunch every day for years! I cannot wait to make these. Thanks a bunch for posting this recipe. (plus Furnkies is a mucho better name).

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I have been looking for this recipe for over 10 years.. In another lifetime(when I was a school cook) we made these for the kids hot lunches. Enough for the 2000(!) lunches in one 3 hour marathon!!! Thank you for posting this.

mmmmm I just found this yesterday and I already have a batch cooling on a rake in my kitchen to bring to a pool party this afternoon!

I cant wait to try it out.

I tried to pin this and it won’t let me it says that it can’t find an image. Could you put one of those nice little pin it buttons on this page for me? Thanks.

12. Renee Rasmussen says

Fun to see these treats featured in today’s newsletter. Such a Mandy classic!! :) Love them!