Playroom: Tree

It’s playroom week here at Sugar Bee Craft Edition.  I am SOO EXCITED!! This has been a long time coming.  I will spend all this week with lots of posts (several a day – keep coming back!) of all that went into the room.  Then Friday I will  have a grand finale big reveal.  So today I want to kick-off with what anchors the whole space – the TREE.

Tree murals are all the rage, so I knew I wanted one.  Under the stairs is a playhouse so the little room next to the playhouse is like the yard.  And what yard is complete without a tree.  I browsed lots of great examples of tree murals and saw one with circles – it was just the right amount of whimsy I was looking for.  Of course I don’t know the link – if anyone saw a tree that looks like mine but was all paint (no fabric) let me know so I can share the link with everyone.

I wanted to incorporate fabric on the wall to tie together the color scheme, so some of my leaves are circles of fabric.  So a quick how to paint a tree on a wall and use fabric..

I had help in this – I’m not an artist at all.  I had my husband freehand the tree outline and place all the circles.  He used our big Tupperware bowl set for the various sizes.  I traced the bowls onto the fabric in the sizes we wanted.  All the paint was finished first:

For attaching the fabric to the wall – super easy.  I found a great how-to on How About Orange - basically you paint the back of the fabric with goo, put the fabric with goo on the wall, then paint another coat of goo on top once it’s on the wall.  The cornstarch holds it to the wall and apparently it will just pull off the wall whenever we need it to.  For the goo recipe I used:
1/8 C cornstarch stirred into 1/4 C cold water
then added that to 2 C boiling water
You can see how many circles I did, and there was still leftover goo.
I used 2 different fabrics from the same family (Riley Blake All Stars) – dots and stripes.  I absolutely love how this turned out.  It was just what I pictured in my head.  Love when that happens!!
I am entering this in the Fabric Challenge at CSI – - here’s to hoping for a win!

Visit thecsiproject.com

Comments

Yeah, they are all the rage right now!I just love that word “rage” Reminds of one of my BFF’s that doesn’t live very close. Anyway . .. yes, the tree looks awesome!! I want one!! LOL

Wow! That looks amazing! I really like it and am wanting to do something similar in my daughter’s room! Never thought of adding the fabric to the paint!? Love how it looks!

I really love this tree! I was planning on doing pop art collages of my kids in our play room, but I think I might do this instead. I can’t wait to see the entire room!

Thanks for linking to Messy Monday. I am so excited for your other play room projects!

that tree makes me so happy! I love circles, and I love the colors! I’ve got to figure out what I am going to do with fabric and goo, it just looks like so much fun..
    Thanks for linking up to “AP Tuesdays!”

Visiting from Anti-procrastination Tuesday.
    I am IN LOVE with your tree! I’ve been trying to think of something great and kinda whimsical for our playroom, and I think I’ve found it. I’m adding you to my blog list so I can see all the other magical things you did to the room. I’ll be back!

I saw the same tree that you did with the bubbles… and I fell in love with it… I did a tree in my kids playroom as well… I love what you have done… Perfect… our colours are very close… we did green white and red…

I love your creativity and not using a cricut to pump a tree out. This is something anybody could make and I completely admire it.

I wish I had kids so I could have an excuse to have a humongous tree in our house.

I was curious… now that some time has passed – how has the “goo” held up? Did you have to re-apply or is it holding strong. It sounds like a fabulous idea!