Wall Stencils

The view below is looking into my kitchen prep area from the eat-in area.  I have vaulted ceilings over the cabinets.  Who knows why!  It’s just wasted, hard-to-decorate space.  The old owners had it wallpapered, but yikes, it wasn’t my style.  So that came down (not without a fight, though).  And I painted my green that I love.  But still, it needed more.

I had a friend come over when I said “I need help stenciling my kitchen” – she later admitted that she didn’t know what I was thinking because she, like most people pictured some little vine stencil thing.  But stencils can be cool!  Here I am with the actual stencil sheet product, pulling off the first wheel.
I got better with each one.  The detailed instructions say to use minimal paint on your roller, but I was in a hurry to see the results so I used too much paint – there was a little bleeding, but I could only see it up close (and I don’t plan to let people climb on my cabinets, so it doesn’t matter).  The hardest part was deciding placement.  After my friend left I had to rely on my five-year old, as I held the stencil and asked her “does that look like it’s in the right spot”
Actually, maybe the hardest part was the heat.  Hot air rises, and I swear it was 20 degrees hotter up on top of my cabinets than on the floor – really!  Phew, it was a doozy.  But well worth it.
I had one stencil size – the large – but to get some smaller wheels I just used that stencil and didn’t paint the outer rim. Here I am with the small roller that’s available through the same site – loved it!
What I loved most is that a stencil is reusable!  It gives the look of vinyl decals that is so “in”, but you can use it over and over.  Perfect.  Now I look up and see this instead of my boring wall of nothingness:
The black plays up our built-in desk area which is in the eat-in kitchen (so basically in the same room) and the yellow is in my curtains.  It’s hard to get a good shot of the whole room, but I tried:
I wish I could invite you all over to see them – - they look AWESOME in person.

Comments

Love it! I can’t wait to come over and see it in person! It is much better than the Magic Eye wallpaper. And I’m a little disappointed that you will not allow me to stand on your cabinets! I’ll live, I guess!

Oh that looks awesome! I’m trying to get the nerve to do something like that to a wall in my family room! Wish I could have a second opinion on what to do!!! Thanks for giving me some more options! Great job!!

These look great! I love the colors you used. I could see using something like that in my teenagers room. It would be great to use as art because they hit an age when you don’t know what to put on their wall other than posters!

WOW–that changed the whole look of your kitchen and yes I have done projects on top of cabinets in a vaulted ceiling kitchen and it is so much hotter.

Thanks for linking up and you entered perfectly

Cheri

I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I linked to this post today from the new Home & Garden channel at Craft Gossip. :) My hope is to share many of the fabulous projects I see everyday with the vast CG audience. I hope you will not only stop by and subscribe to CG, but will tell your friends about the new category! Hope you see some traffic from it!

Your feature will appear in the main Craft Gossip RSS feed, on the main home page and can be found directly here

If you would like a “featured by” button, you can grab one here!

WOW! Those look amazing. You are one brave woman to stand on your cabinets and on top of your fridge. I would be afraid they would come crashing down! All that hard work was definitely worth it.

Thanks so much for linking to Transform Tuesday!!

You always seem to AMAZE me! I wish you lived closer to me so I could do all your fabulous projects with you! Thank for linking up to Hoo’s got talent!

Whoahhhh! Those stencils are the coolest! Your application looks flawless and professional! I feel very fortunate to be included with such talented ladies on the list of DIY Club finalists! Having connected with so many inspiring and multi-talented bloggers, I feel like I’ve already won! Best, Jenn

Mandy this looks great!! Such a cool stencil and the colors and placement are perfect! And they’re huge!

Great job! Congrats on being in the Top 12, I feel like we’ve all won a little bit just for being picked though, right? :) Winning would be great too though.

Take care!

Erin

I popped over to you from UCreate. WOW! Your stencils look fabulous. What an impact it made to your kitchen. Thanks for sharing this with us. I’m now headed over to check out the stencil site.