Craft Room Chair

I don’t think I’ve told you, but I’m working on vamping up my craft room.  It’s in the works.  But the chair is done, and I LOVE it!!  I found the basic office chair at a thrift store and redid it:

WOW, right?!  What a difference paint and fabric can make!!

Did you know these kind of chair could come apart – I wasn’t sure, but they do.

After taking off the seats, I spraypainted everything else.  It’s a plastic chair, so I was sure to use the spraypaint specially designed for plastics (I used Krylon Fusion for plastics in red).  My husband was skeptical of paint sticking to plastic (he’s a plastics engineer) but it worked great!

Then I wrapped my fabric around the seat parts and stapled it to the back.  I didn’t even take off the old fabric – just wrapped over it all.
Then screw it all back together and you’re done.  The chair went from “drab” to “fab” (my model was begging to sit on it for a picture) – I really love it!

If you want to see more of my craft room, check out my Craft Room Tour Post:

Comments

So jealous of those reupholstering skills. I’m inspired to work on some chairs here at the house that could really use some help now!

Love it! What a huge difference! My sister is working on a craft room and picked out that same fabric! I also redid a rocking chair with that fabric and painted it red, you and I must have the same taste! :)

oooh, I love it! I have a chair I want to redo, also, but never thought of dismantling and painting it first! Thank you for sharing the inspiration!!!

Can’t believe it, except I see all the proof with your pics. WOW,, I know sooo simple but who would have thought to do it. My son ha that nasty looking chair in hi room right now, how exciting that I can turn it into something cool, with just a few steps. Thanks for your AWESOME tutorial, and if you have the urge to link up to just one more party, I have a new one over at my place. :) Thanks again!!!!

OMG! You just made me the happiest gal alive. We recently renovated our home office and I tried to get my husband to use a handsome wooden chair for his desk space, but he insisted it wasn’t comfortable enough. So, I let him bring his old office chair back in. But, now I see I can give it a facelift to match the other chair and table cloth in our office! Oh happy day. Thanks for sharing.

Brittany

Hi!

I am wanting to recover my office chair but am afraid I will break the back if I yank too hard. Did yours come off easily? Do you have any tips?

Thanks!
    Erin

As I sit here blogging on a ripped office chair I rejoice in glee and I have a new project for the hubby & me! How cute is this rhyme! Thanks for this fabulous idea! I am putting it on my to do list.

WOW! Just clicked over from Crafting with the Stars. I shouldn’t be surprised this linked me to you, you alway do AH-mazing stuff. Good luck on the competition. I just entered too! Fingers crossed.

Just Another Day in Paradise

oh my gosh, how great is this redo/!?!?!?! love it. how did the paint hold up?

ps found you while googling “chair redo”

I love it! I’m so totally doing this to my craft room chair. Couple of questions – 1) how much yardage did you need? 2) How did you paint the wheel covers without painting the wheels?

Wow and double wow!!! This is just what I need! I’d love wheels at my machine and the usual ones are just so ugly. Can’t wait to have a go – thanks! P.S. found you from PR&P. Good luck!

Ooh ooh ooh, ah! I so need to redo my chair now. It is a used one with a corner missing in the seat fabric and so needs a redo. Thank you for the inspiration.

I recently redid a desk chair like that for my daughter but I used duct tape, it turned out really cute, using the duct tape with cupcake print on it and it was super easy.

HI! I know I’m super late to this post but I love what you did with the chair. I have the exact same one and am trying to upgrade it. How did the get top part dismantled? Mine doesn’t have any screws so I was wondering if you just popped it off with lever or what?

Hope they all come apart as easily. I’ve thought about doing that to my drafting chair for a long time. Thanks for the encouragement. Yours looks great!