I have a niece who does amazing things with jewelry -when I saw these pretty little hairpins in her etsy shop, the crafter in me searched how to make them. But I came up empty handed online. So I went direct to the source – and guess what – Lacey is going share the how-to with everyone – yea!!
First, be sure to check out her shop, Fleur De Lacey – she has those cute hairpins as I mentioned, but there’s tons more jewelry you’ll love, like these:
Now, if you’re wanting to make your own, here’s a how to make mini polymer clay flowers for hairpins (and more!) – –
1. Select color of clay and break of a small piece (about the size of a teaspoon). Knead until it is soft an pliable. Roll into a long strip (like a worm).
2. Break off a small piece (about the size of half a pencil eraser) and roll into a ball. This will be the center of the flower.
3. Break off 3-4 similar size pieces and roll into balls. Flatten with fingers, then press each around the side of the first ball, until it is covered all the way around.
4. Break off 4-5 slightly larger pieces, roll into balls and flatten as above. Press the center of each of these over the area where two of the previous petals meet. Continue adding petals until all previous petals are covered.
5. Continue step number four until desired size of rose.
6. If adding a leaf: Roll a ball slightly larger than the size of a pencil eraser, then press between the thumb and forefinger on both hands, creating a diamond shape. Flatten slightly. Use a pin to press a crease down the center of the leaf. Press off to the side and slightly underneath the flower.
Note: There are lots of ways to spice this up: Mix two clays and swirl for a multi color flower, add glitter, using a little polymer clay glue, press a bead or gemstone in the center.
These flowers can be used in many different ways: Glue them onto bobby pins, thread them onto ribbons for necklaces or bracelets, make them into rings, etc
Visit Lacey at her shop, Fleur De Lacey
Thanks Lacey!! I’m off to make some of my mine – – hope to show those off soon…..
Update!! I made some – here’s that link: Clay Flower Hairpins – I came up with another method in addition to this one, so check it out…