The Pink Fluff Skirt

I don’t know what I did, but someone when I guest posted for Fireflies and Jellybeans last week I deleted my Pink Fluff Skirt post.  So I rewrote it because I know a lot of you haven’t seen it since it was from last year when I was just starting out….

Today I am going to share a fun sewing craft for Valentine’s Day (or really, any day – it’s that cute!)  I call it the Pink Fluff skirt.  Here we go – -

For the underneath, or base, of the skirt, I wanted it to be tiered so it would get bigger and floofier as it got longer.

–Use satin to make the base, or underneath part, of the skirt. I found a perfect tutorial over on Chica and Jo : the best part – their link to a tiered skirt calculator – how cool is that!? You just type in a waist and length measurement along with how many tiers you want, and voila, it does all the math for you. I’m still amazed!! I went with 3 tiers.  Using a cutting mat and rotary cutter helped with the slippery cheap satin, but you can use scissors too.

Follow the directions in the tutorial where you gather one strip and sew it on to the bottom of a smaller strip, then repeat:

– Don’t complete the skirt by adding elastic and sewing the sides together – leave it flat to add the tulle (you don’t have to, but it’s easier this way).

Next cut a whole lot of tulle.  You’ll need more than you think, especially if you want to see the color in it:

–Gather strips of tulle. Mine are double-layered but if I had more tulle (you’ll need more than you think – trust me!) I would have gone for a triple layer.  You can stack your strips and gather the stack. Then lay out your strips onto to skirt to make sure you have enough and to determine your “look”. I made one stripes and one gradiated.

–Sew the gathered tulle onto the skirt where you placed it.  Then pull out your gather stitch.

–Slip elastic in the casing of the skirt (you followed the directions on the link and made a place to put the elastic, right?) and pin it on each edge. Then with right sides together just sew up the side seams. Cute, right?? –Total cost, about $2.75.
My models – they LOVE their Pink Fluff skirt!! (I can sure tell my photography has gotten better in the year since I took these..)

Also, I had scraps and made some skirts for my girls’ dolls – check them out HERE, Pink Fluff for Dolls.

I made fun shirts to go with the skirts for my girls:

Also, did I mention we made these as a “mom craft” at playgroup??  I think I was crazy – look at all the precut piles!

But it’s so fun to craft in a group:

I sent grandparents a Valentine’s Day picture last year – I was sure on top it!

Visit thecsiproject.com

Comments

Those are so stinkin’ cute! I bet the girls love them! You were rather brave for doing this for mom group as well. Love your V-day pic from last year! LOL TOO CUTE!
    Thanks for linking up! :)

I love love those skirts! What an adorbale outfit! ;) So funny you posted about your craft group – I’ve been wanting to start one and i was asking another mom at dance class last week what she thought of the idea. So if you don’t mind how did you guys get started with your group? Is there a fee for supplies? I’m just really curious if you get a second you can email me – [email protected]

Oh my gosh! Those are SEW cute!! I love the shirts, too. My BFF and I craft every week during our playgroup. They play while the moms craft. It’s genius, if you ask me…lol:) By the way, I made a ruffled ribbon heart shirt for my girl yesterday, I’m going to post it next week. You’ll have to come see it, I think you’ll really love it!

That is adorable! I LOVE them and it sure looks like they were a hit! I love the idea of a crafty playgroup as well! It looks like ya’ll are having so much fun! I want to join in! Ha!

These are SO cute!! I also love that you all get together and sew, I wish I had more friends who were into crafts/sewing stuff. Have fun and thanks for sharing :):)

This is just wonderful, thank you so much! I wish a could join your group, you must be having lots of fun together! May I ask you how you made the t shirt with the heart and name in int? I just love it, it goes perfectly well with the skirt.

Thanks!
    Marloes

You sure are crafty! Those skirts are adorable and the shirts compliment and top them off nicely! I love your ‘crazy faces’ entry too! Absolutely cute!

Quite adorable! Cute little projects like these really start turning the wheels for other neat ideas. in the one picture of the girl you have first in your article, her pink fluffy skirt actually looks like shorts the way she’s sitting… how cute would that be!
    Nice job!