Peg Board Display Case

Anyone else need a pretty portable peg board display case?? (shown above, 2 cases opened side-by-side)  I described what I wanted to Trevor, and he came up with something even better than I pictured.  I am a consultant with Paparazzi Accessories (LOVE making money with $5 Accessories – if you want to learn more, you can check out my Paparazzi Accessories information) so these make for great Paparazzi Cases, but they can work for tons of other things as well.
A quick tutorial how-to:

Update – - lots of people asked about the size.  Trevor bought one piece of pegboard and had Lowes cut it into 3rds (easier to transport).  Then for one case he took one of those thirds and cut it in half, making 2 sides to the case.  Each side is 24inches across the top, 30 inches from top to bottom.

Then each side has 4 pieces of trim, 2 24inches long and 2 30inches long – actually the 30in ones get trimmed to fit, so more like 28.5.  For one case you’ll need 2 8 ft 1x2s, and you’ll have extra left over.

Make a frame with 1x2s:

Lay a piece of pegboard onto the frame and screw it into place.

Repeat, so you have 2 sides.  The hold the two sides together and put on a “piano” hinge – a hinge that is really long.  That’s it!  Paint to for a clean look.

It’s got a latch to hold it shut – - that way everything can stay hanging up – I just shut it and go, and know that nothing will fall out because of the frame around it all.

I added a long handle so I could carry it over my shoulder:

Like so…..

Awesome, right?!?! I have two cases and can carry one on each shoulder.

Cases in action:

AND, if you’re looking for display things, you might want to check out the tutorial on my spinning display rack:

Comments

That is awesome! What a cool and smart hubby you have!

I have a question about the jewelry.
    How well does it hold up? How long will the silver stay silver? I know someone else who sells, but since neither of you live in the same state as me, making it hard to see it for myself, I would love to hear your honest opinion of the products.

Exactly what I was looking for to display my jewelry! Thanks for sharing. I showed my husband and we are ready to make these. LOVE the handles! Genius and such a perfect, portable size for shows and open houses.

A couple of questions – If the peg board is screwed onto the frame, why is there a clamp pictured? Did you also glue the peg board down? Also, when you close and transport your cases, do you have to put any type of foam or other material inside it to keep the jewelry from sliding off the hooks? Thanks.

Hey Kim – your email isn’t linked to your comments, so I can’t reply – - hope you see this – - anyways, I think he glued it down as well as screwed it, just to be extra zealous. When I close them, I don’t put anything else inside, and it stays on the hooks but my jewelry does jingle around alot – a piece of foam would probably be beneficial.

Hi Mandy!!
    The case is super!! I appreciate you sharing. I know that you said that you use the hooks you got from paparazzi but could you tell me how far they stick out from the pegboard? I found 2″ pegs but I’m not sure if the case will close or if they will be too long. Thanks again, have a blessed day!

OMG! I just spent 1 hour in Home Depot with a young guy who could not cut!!!! The hinge was too long. SMH. I will be making a trip to Lowes tomorrow or back to Home Depot and ask for someone that’s “experienced” with cutting!!!

I love this! Thank you so much for sharing. I bought most of the supplies at Lowe’s this evening. Can you please tell me where you bought the latch? Did you buy the handle or make it? What is it made from?

Hey, Question: a friend of mine is making this for me and he isn’t sure how to screw on the screws. Did you screw them in the holes, have any washers, or anything special? Thanks! Love these cases!

I don’t have a saw to cut any of the pieces, so I wanted to check before I went to Lowes. Since the trim is 1×2 would I get 2 24″ pieces and 2 28″ pieces because I need to take away an inch on each side? And for the peg board, I would have them cut it once “hotdog” style then divide each half into 3 parts? Thanks so much for the idea! I am very excited! :)

Hey Chelsea, Mandy asked me to answer your question. To make one 24Wx30H you will need: 4 pieces of 1×2 that are 24 long, 4 pieces of 1×2 that are 28.5 long (a 1×2 is really 3/4 thick and 1 1/2 wide, so 28.5 plus 3/4 for the top piece plus 3/4 for the bottom piece = 30). For the peg board, buy a 4ftx4ft piece, have them cut it 30inches tall, then split it down the middle so you have two pieces 24×30. Good luck!

Never mind on that last question i see that it is! !!! Lol I just started selling that’s why I been looking for disks and noticed the colors of the jewelry. .. thx

What size of peg board did you get along with sizes of screws and hinge? I love this idea I got the 2-1x2x10′ since that is all my lumber yard had. Please let me know. I have a show coming up and would love to use this as well.

I just made 2 of these today and 2 of the spinning displays as well thanks to your great tutorials and the help of a good friend. I was just wondering how you painted them? I have sprayed mine 3 times with spray paint and it just seems to keep soaking it up.

Hi Dulcea! You can see the pegs in that last picture on the spinning rack. I just space them out so they’re staggered and they don’t hit each other. Hope that helps!

Hi Mandy,
    I meant the pegs in the case; you say that you’ve it all set up before you leave so I was wondering their size so they didn’t hit each other in the case.

gotcha – -I’m not sure they’re size, but I just got them from Paparazzi. I stagger them so that when the case shuts they go in-between each other, if that makes sense. Lately I’ve also liked “locking j hooks” – they’re plastic and really stay in well. I bought those off of ebay.

I just finished building mine today; mine isnt completely even given that the guy at the hardware store when I went to get the peg board didn’t cut the board straight but it’s done and I like it. It needs paint now :D I’ve got everything lined up for the spinning rack too.

18. Latasha Smith says

Hello, I have recently invested in some jewerly and I have a party scheduled next month and I’m needing a way to transport THIS IS SOOOOO PERFECT. My husband is gonna try and make me a display. I came across yours & was wondering what size hooks are being used in your carry display?