Pledge Allegiance Sign

For all those who need some decor for 4th of July, check out this Pledge Allegiance Sign I just whipped up – - and I have a quick tutorial for ya!

First off, a few weeks ago we went to a swearing in ceremony for new citizens.  It was really powerful and I think everyone should attend one at least once in their life.  So glad we got to go and I thought it was a great thing for our kids to experience.

A few days after we got back, I saw this post on Poppies at Play – - and with our recent experience, I knew we just NEEDED it!

I loved the design of the Pledge of Allegiance and I knew if I tried to make something similar, it just wouldn’t turn out – so I purchased the vinyl from them and it was sent to my home super quick.

I painted a spare board I found in the garage white – then I attached the vinyl – - at this point I liked it as it, but I was going for more (I think that Trevor thought I was going to ruin it…)

Now, I’ve mentioned this before on my post about how to leave stained letters (see it HERE) – - the secret to crisp lines when painting over vinyl – - MOD PODGE!!!

Because – - when you paint over vinyl, some of it inevitably seeps under the vinyl .  So when you paint on a layer of Mod Podge, IT is seeping under your vinyl.  But it’s clear.  And it seals the seeping point.

So paint on a layer of Mod Podge and let dry.  THEN paint on your color.  Let that dry.

And watch like magic when you peel your letters – the lines are so crisp and clear, revealing the original layer of paint (in my case, white):

There’s something about peeling letters that’s kind of fun – simple to do (just go slow) and not a lot of thought involved – - look who even joined in the fun (aka, SIMACB, who was declared in one comment to be  favorite craft blogger OF.ALL.TIME”)

See how nice and crisp those lines are:

If you have never tried the Mod Podge trick, I highly recommend it!!  Go give it a try!

Pin It

Comments

Is there anything mod lodge can’t do? Seriously awesome tip thanks. Happy American, day! I know you guys celebrate in July just not sure what you call the day :)

That is so cool. I am making one myself. Did the lines in the red paint come from a special paint you used? If so what red paint did you use.

Thanks for the tip! I wonder, if you didn’t have Mod Podge on hand, if painting over the vinyl in your background color and then your top color would have the same effect. i.e., the white would ‘bleed’ under the vinyl, and not the red.

Great tip!! I haven’t tried quote wall art, though I’ve been wanting to, so I’ll have to remember this! I wonder if the homemade Mod Podge (glue & water) works as well. . . Only one way to find out, right?!? That was I can save even more $$ :)

First time reading your blog and I love it! What a great job! I love the step by step tutorial. Where did you get all the fonts? I have a Cricut but just ordered a Cameo and can’t wait. Thanks for your inspiration!!

I love this tip! I have another question…I like to varnish old barn boards and then use vinyl stencils to write quotes on them. But I like to keep the varnished board look and so I do the stencils the opposite way where I fill in the stencil with paint…do you have any recommendations on how to not let it bleed thru that way?

Trackbacks