Hi Sugar Bee readers! I’m Shatzi and I blog over at Love and Laundry. I’m a mom of three kiddos and I love cooking, sewing, crafting, decorating and definitely playing with my kids. But I don’t love laundry. That’s kind of a joke. I’m so excited to be back this month sharing a fun Halloween kid craft!
These are so simple to make! Here’s what you need:
A medium or large styrofoam ball (depending on how big you want your spider)
Black furry yarn
8 Black pipe cleaners
I love this kind of craft because the kids can pretty much do it all by themselves. I couldn’t find sticky eyes, so I had to help them hot glue the eyes on. But, other than that, they pretty much handled this one on their own.
The first thing I did was tape the yarn onto the Styrofoam ball so it would stay in place.
Then, I let my girlie wrap and wrap and wrap. I told her to use the whole skein of yarn so we could make sure the Styrofoam ball was completely covered.
After it’s completely wrapped, we tucked in the pipe cleaners underneath the yarn and twisted it together to form the legs. It’s hard to photograph black on black, so I drew an arrow to kind of show you how to do it. I’m sure this goes without saying, but there should be 4 legs on each side. Once the pipe cleaners were all through, we bent the pipe cleaners to look like spider legs.
Finally, we hot glued the googly eyes on.
I hung it from a string to dangle below our dining room table light.
Don’t those legs look creepy and cute all at the same time?
This was a fun project and the kids were so proud of what they created. Plus they are some fun Halloween decorations!
Thanks, Mandy for having me today!
- Kid Craft Contributor – Popsicle Stick Puzzles - July 5, 2013
- Melted Bead Keychains – Kid Craft Contributor - June 7, 2013
- Safety Pin & Bead Bracelet – Kid Craft Contributor - May 3, 2013
- Pinwheels – Kid Craft Contributor - April 5, 2013
- Homemade Moon Sand – Kid’s Craft Contriubtor - March 1, 2013
- Kid Craft Contributor: Handprint Valentine Cards - February 1, 2013
- Sock Snowman: Kid Craft Contributor - January 4, 2013
- Glitter Snow Globes – Kid Craft Contributor - December 14, 2012
- Indian Corn Napkin Rings – Kid Craft Contributor - November 2, 2012
- Furry Halloween Spider – Kid Craft Contributor - October 5, 2012