With four small children in the house, cupcakes are always a hit, especially if they're cut. I've experimented quite a few times with Cut-Out Cupcakes for other occasions, so I thought we'd make some Christmas ones this year.
Here are a few reasons I LOVE cut-out cupcakes:
- They're fun! Kids love seeing the shapes.
- They're easy.
- They don't require very much frosting.
- The frosting is inside the cupcake...make it less likely the kids will lick of the frosting and leave the cupcake.
- They're less messy. Since the frosting is not on top, your child's face won't get frosting all over it, and if they get dropped there's not must frosting showing to get on the carpet, floor, shirt, etc.
- They're easy to transport. You don't get frosting all over your car, shirt, etc if you have to transport them to school or a party.
- Cupcakes (See note below about baking.)
- Knife (serrated works best)
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Small cookie cutters
You need a rounded top on your cupcake to do this. When I bake the cupcakes, I fill the baking cups up a tad more than usual. Then I bake them on a lower temperature than the directions for a longer time. I usually bake them at 325 degrees. You'll want to keep an eye on them, but it usually takes 3-5 extra minutes of baking time.
Cut the top off.
I think a mixture of chocolate and yellow cake is fun, although I think chocolate cupcakes are my favorite for these. The chocolate just contrasts so nicely with the frosting.
And I thought some white and blue sprinkles dressed up the snowflake nicely.
You can serve them on their own, or along with the shapes you cut out.
(Pictured are Pumpkin Cut-Out Cupcakes, Monster Cut-Out Cupcakes, Clover Cut-Out Cupcakes, Star Cut-Out Cupcakes, and Christmas Cut-Out Cupcakes.)
Thanks so much for taking a look. I'd love to hear from you if you try making some of these. Please stop by my blog for lots of fun Christmas and gift ideas all month long.
A few favorites from last year were these Easy Mini-Book Ornaments Tutorial...
...and this Painted Nativity Tutorial.