I just sewed up the cutest dress! Using the free pattern for the Coffee Date Dress, and some vintage floral fabric I picked up at a garage sale years ago, it couldn’t have been more perfect:
It fit perfectly and sewed up great. It had this whole all-in-one bodice lining thing where you don’t have to sew by hand to encase around the arm openings and shoulders. I’ve done it once before in a dress for my girls, but I was still a little intimidated. BUT, I figured it out and it worked on the first try – wahoo! And I put in the invisible zipper and everything….
During the sewing – – I swear the part that takes the longest is piecing the pattern together. I had a few places it wasn’t lining up, mainly because my printer was running out of ink and I had to guess where the lines were. And a cat causing problems:
Trevor took our oldest to a preseason football game last Friday night, which made me think, “hey, I think I’ll sew up a dress today” – and I did, so that was a fun evening. It’s for the sew along over at Project Sewn – be sure to check out everyone else’s version.
I think the ruffle detail is just perfect – adds some whimsy and fun, but it’s not too over-the-top:
If you’ve been a beginner sewer, and you’re looking for a pattern to push you into that mid-level skill range, give this one a try! I think I’ll be making some more – I just love the fit and feel and look of this dress!