Granny Stripe Crochet Afghan Throw Blanket

Can you tell that I can’t decide what to name this post?! the “Crochet Afghan Throw Blanket” – how about that title, right?!  I know it’s technically an afghan, and that’s the term I used growing up, but I don’t know if everyone uses that term.  It was a 50/50 split when I asked on FB/Instagram about it.  Whether people use the term “afghan” or if it’s dated.  Anyways, here’s what I made (err. what I’m mak-ING – yep, not done yet)
I still have a whole 2 days until #projectcrochet wraps up, so maybe I’ll get it done?  But my main goal was to get it done during the olympics – take advantage of the extra TV watching and all.  I came close!

I don’t have a pattern for you – I used one from Attic24 and then I also just searched for “granny stripe blanket pattern” to find a few other tutorials. It’s basically a cluster of 3 double crochets, over and over. But here’s the thing – I’m not great at reading patterns.  I just want a friend to sit next to me and talk me through how to make it.  So I whipped up a quick video tutorial (just 4 minutes!) of the basic idea behind the Granny Stitch for the stripes.  Enjoy that awkward awesomeness (and sorry that my camera was set to warm up the light – oops) – -

this is how it’s looking so far – I think just a few more stripes wider compared to it’s length….

I probably made it a little longer than I should have, but I didn’t want it to be too short.  She wanted it to be able to cover her feet – got that, and then some!

Some other inspiration – – the image on the left sold me on wanting a granny stripe pattern and the image on the right sold me on using turquoise and green as main colors:

crochet modern granny stripe baby blanket

I don’t think I’ve even made a whole blanket, so even though it’s taking a little longer, I’m pretty excited about it and the progress!!

And so you love stripes?!
 I’m not the only one with a stripe project and tutorial today.  A few other awesome bloggers (who also happen to be part of my Sugar Bee Contributors team) have some super cool ideas to share – – be sure to follow the links below to find their projects and check out the #CreativeBuzz of the group!
1. Granny Stripe Crocheted Blanket from Sugar Bee Crafts
2. Free Printable “Made with Love” Labels from Do Small Things with Love
3. Striped Gallery Style Photo Board from One Krieger Chick
4. Zebra Cake with Cookies & Cream Frosting from This Silly Girl’s Life
5. Striped Clover Mini Plate from Just Us Four
6. Neon Stripe Microsuede Clutch from seven thirty three
7. Striped Cake Stand from Tied Ribbon
8. Stripe Fabric Bracelet from Made to Be a Momma
search social media for #CreativeBuzz each month to see what we’re all up to!

Craft Blogger

Thanks for checking out this post from www.SugarBeeCrafts.com – – click on over to read it in its entirety – you’ll love it!

Comments

I agree Mandy, I also just want someone to sit beside me & SHOW me the way to do this! THANKS for the video, this will help me far more than reading a pattern or looking at a drawing!! LOVE the colors you chose & how long this is going to be!! I love to have enuf to “tuck” my feet in @ the bottom!!!

Great projects, I just found your blog through pinterest (ruffled key chain project). You mention an etsy site but I couldn’t find it under Sugar Bee Crafts, do you still have a site and do you sell the keychains??
    Thanks Carla

oh gotcha, are you still going to use your etsy shop?? If so, I would love to add it to my favorite shops. Do you have a link or the nam that I can search? Thanks!

Great afghan – I love the colors. I have one that looks kind of like this that my husbands aunt made for my son years ago. I got a lot of crochet and knitting done during the Olympics, too. I was able to complete a crochet infinity scarf and a feather and fan knit scarf. The TV time was extra working time for me!

I DO love the stripes! I just re-learned how to make granny squares and I’m loving the look of the stripes!! It’s really a fresh take on the square idea. The colors you chose are fab! That blanket will grow with her! :)

I love this blanket/afghan/throw! ;) I don’t know if I have the patience to finish an entire blanket, but like you, watching it progress might help me to keep on going!

Hi Elizabeth, you’re right – – some I did 2 rows and some I did 3, and some are 4 (I think!) – I just made it up as I went along, so I’m sure that’s not very helpful, sorry!

8. Pam Peters says

My daughter found this on Pinterest and loved the colors. Would you be able to tell be the colors used and what brand?
    Thanks
    Pam P

• says

sorry, we’re in temporary housing as we build our house, and everything is in storage, boxed up! fingers crossed for the end of January – but I know I bought them at Michael’s, and they don’t have a ton of yarn, so it might jump out at you when you’re there. Good luck!

9. Megan says

I just finished this crochet project as a Christmas gift and loved it! Your video tutorial was very helpful for a beginning crocheter. I copied your color pattern with and it turned out beautiful, thank you so much!

10. Mary Prichard says

Do you happen to have a picture that shows the entire inspiration afghan? I would love to try making it but I don’t think I’m seeing all of the colors.

11. Ana Cristina Saavedra says

Mandy, thank you for the video! I also love the colors as well as the easy way you manage to teach us this. I just would like to ask you how do you work the color change, I mean, how do you change the yarn for each different line.
    thank you so much! :)