Hi again! It’s Julia from All Things with Purpose.
I am a homeschooling mom of 3. My kids are ages 7, 5 and 3.
I blog at All Things with Purpose and Homeschool with Purpose.
I love sewing and shopping at Goodwill!
Telling time is an important Math concept that is typically introduced in Kindergarten. For the next several years more aspects are added. Telling time to the half hour, to the quarter hour and finally to the minute.
While I don’t expect my Pre-K child to be able to tell time, I do feel value in introducing the concept to him as early as possible. Here are some fun ways to do that.
This silly and entertaining video is a great way to introduce your toddler to the appearance of digital numbers.
I love the Melissa and Doug wooden clock pictured above. It’s perfect for allowing play time while getting your preschooler familiar with the numbers and layout of a clock. Let them play, but every once in a while show them the correct order the numbers should be in. Say “Let’s count! 1, 2, 3…”
In your regular play time, simply mention that the minute hand is longer and the hour hand is shorter. Point to the clock throughout the day and ask “What time is it?”
Don’t be surprised if one day your little guy proclaims, “Mom, it’s 1:00!!” On the other hand don’t expect your 3-year-old to start telling time. Introducing these concepts to your toddler will make learning to tell time much easier as they grow, and will make school seem fun and easy!!
Enjoy Playing!! ~Julia
Check it out at www.homeschoolwithpurpose.com
It is just getting started, but I would love to know what you think!
- Mommy’s Helper Printable (Preschool Contributor) - April 25, 2015
- Fun Preschool Recipe Cards! (Preschool Contributor) - March 28, 2015
- Printable Chore Charts (Preschool Contributor) - February 28, 2015
- Valentine Play Dough Mats (Preschool Contributor) - January 31, 2015
- Preschool Contributor: Felt Name Tree - November 22, 2014
- Thanksgiving Printable: Handwriting Art (Preschool Contributor) - October 31, 2014
- Preschool Contributor: Printable Number Train - September 27, 2014
- Frozen Ice Painting (Preschooler Contributor) - August 30, 2014
- Preschool Contributor: Playing with Time - July 26, 2014
- Contributor Post: Tips for Reading with Preschoolers - June 28, 2014