Another year, another no-sew tutu costome idea – I seriously can’t get enough!! First a bumble bee, then a fairy, now good ole Minnie Mouse. I might be on a mission to make every costume I can think of into a tutu outfit version 😉 But today it’s all about the DIY Minnie Mouse Costume! And to get you even MORE excited, it’s a blog hop, so there are TONS of other vinyl projects, plus a VACATION GIVEAWAY, down below in the post!!
The challenge with Minnie Mouse is that she has white polka dots… and tulle is just in solid colors. Good thing there is Heat Transfer Vinyl to the rescue!
So cute right?! Complete side note – – what’s with all the skimpy Halloween costumes?!! Girls wearing next to nothing – it’s crazytown! (I was going to post some screenshots from costume-shopping, but I decided against it – I’m sure you know what I’m talking about!) I love that this is still cute and fun, but with plenty of coverage. It’s perfect for a tween! And of course it works for all ages as well – I’m sure my 4 year old niece would love it, and I myself plan to wear it to class parties this year, so it can span various ages 😉
And remember, down below are all these awesome ideas!
DIY Minnie Mouse Costume
–2-3 rolls of red tulle
–elastic (long enough to wrap around the waist, plus approx. 5 extra inches)
–white Heat Transfer Vinyl (I buy mine from Expressions Vinyl – their customer service is unbeatable!!)
First up, you’re going to make the tutu. To do this, you simply cut strips of tulle and tie them around the elastic. I have detailed tutu tie-on instructions on a previous post HERE, so I won’t go over it again, but just click through if you need those instructions. Yep, they just tie-on – that means no sewing! And then you just tie the elastic in a knot in the back – it doesn’t get easier than that.
Now let’s talk about the iconic Minnie polka dots. I used my Silhouette software to draw a circle that as 1.5 inches, and then I replicated it. Then just cut all of those circles using my Silhouette machine.
Then I wedded out the background and cut all the circles apart so I could work with them individually. I placed one of the circles on the tutu where I wanted it to go:
Then ironed it into place. Now normally you can iron directly on to your HTV if you want. BUT, tulle is a plastic, and it melts when it touches the iron. So you’ll need to be sure to put a cloth between the tulle and the iron. That’s the SECRET TIP for being able to iron Heat Transfer Vinyl onto tulle tutu skirts.
When finished ironing it on, carefully peel off the carrier sheet to reveal your perfect polka dot!
Then just keep adding dot after until you’ve reached your desired dot-ability of the skirt. Tie around your waist and step back and admire the cuteness!!
Now you’re probably wondering about the headband, because that really tops off and pulls together the full outfit, right??
Well, don’t worry, I have a full tutorial on the headband itself coming up in a couple of days that you won’t want to miss. You’ll love how easy it is to put together!
If you’re looking for other no-sew costume ideas, I’ve got a whole list for you that you’ll want to check out for sure!
And here’s the list for all the other awesome projects:
1. Lion King shirts by Play Party Plan
2. Jack Skellington Ears by A Pumpkin and a princess
3. Nemo pumpkin from C.R.A.F.T.
4. Disney coloring shirt by Artsy Fartsy Mama
5. Belle framed art by Crafting in the Rain
6. Miracles free cut file By Dawn Nicole Designs
7. Autograph shirt by the Pinning Mama
8.Disney countdown by Frenchi Wraps
9. Girl dress up by Over the Big Moon
10. Spirit animal shirt by Smashed peas and Carrots
11. Customized Minnie Ears by Inspiration Made Simple
12.Winnie the Pooh quote from Where the Smile Have been!
13. Modest ariel from Kiki & Company
14. Jack Skellington coin purse by Tried and True
15. Minnie Mouse purse by A girl and a glue gun
16. Disney ornaments by Happiness is Homemade
17. Girl Boss shirt by Sweet Rose Studio
18.No Sew Minnie tutu by Sugar Bee Crafts
19. Haunted Mansion door design by Simple simon and Co.
20. Minnie Mouse bow shirt by Girl loves Glam
21. Mary Poppins design by the Crafted Sparrow
22. Cinderella hand lettered shirt by Pitter and Glink
23. Jack Skellington shirt and pumpkin by the Scrap Shoppe
24. Beauty and Beast book sign by Flamingo Toes
25. Hat hair shirt by Polka Dot chair
26. Vintage Disneyland by Persia Lou
Over on Expressions Vinyl, you can win $100 of Vinyl for your projects, so head over there to enter that one!
AND, right here, Thanks to Get Away Today, we are giving away an awesome disney vacation package!!!! Enter below:
(PS, if you don’t win, but still are planning a Southern California Vacation, check out Get Away Today for great deals – and on top of that, you can use the code “SUGARBEE” to get an extra $10 off any 2-night or longer Southern California package (hotel and 2 ticket minimum)
- Simple Reversible Doll Skirt - January 9, 2017
- Vinyl Christmas countdown (with letter outline shadow) - November 14, 2016
- Fall Fabric Flowers - November 3, 2016
- Show and Tell, Link Party Time! - October 31, 2016
- DIY Walnut Table Tutorial - October 31, 2016
- How to Start Your Own Craft Club - October 27, 2016
- Camp Tees Layering Vinyl - October 25, 2016
- Show and Tell, Link Party Time! - October 24, 2016
- Choose Happy Mesh Embroidery - October 24, 2016
- Apron Tutorial and Pattern Roundup - October 22, 2016